Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sarangkot

This morning was special, we woke up at 3h30am. We met at the top of the steps of the resort (the Dining hall/bar/internet/everything house thingy). To get out of the resort, we have two options for leaving the resort. We could take the boats out, but it was too dark. The other way out is 264 steps up to the top where the bus meets us. We climbed all of them, but without complaint - because today we were going to make it to the top of Sarangkot before sunrise! A huge challenge. This peak is taller than the highest mountain in Austrailia, according to Robyn. You can look up info on it I'm sure.

It was SUCH a hard climb. I guess that might not be true for some, but I've never trekked or mountain climbed before. I only do hikes in Northern Ontario, which isn't that difficult. Even with the rocks put in as steps on the way to the top of Sarangkot, it was just so vertical. But once at the top, all huffs and puffs, we made it before the sun. I was actually the second one to make it up! I was surprised because I was panting and sweating and about ready to fall down. The view was amazing, mountains in the background, the perfect red sun blazing as it draws up the hills. Even though we had a cloudy and misty day, it was still amazing. Even after all that work, I wouldn't mind going again to be honest. After hanging about and taking pictures, we go back down. I was the last to the bottom because the scenery was amazing! (And to be honest, my legs were a little weak) It is amazing what you miss in the dark, flew right by it all on the way up. But stepping down I got some gorgeous scenery shots.

An amazing morning, and later this afternoon will be our day one with Habitat - all the teams meeting! How exciting!

-Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment