Monday, September 13, 2010

Member Profile - Jean Macdonald



Namaste all!

My name is Jean Macdonald. I live with my Labrador dog in South Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver, close to the US border

I’m a social worker by training, and retired a few years ago after 30+ years managing a range of social services – mostly child welfare – in the BC public service. I enjoyed it, on balance - there was rarely a dull moment – but I am happy to let someone else do it now!

I’ve travelled a fair bit – northern Canada (hiking, canoe and horseback expeditions), plus visits to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and especially Latin America.

This will be my fourth build. My first was in Nicaragua in 2003 and subsequently I’ve led two closed-team builds in El Salvador – which has become my international home-away-from-home.

I love being outdoors, seeing new places and things, meeting people, learning about the history and geography of a place. I am fascinated by languages. So far I’ve learned to count to 10 in Nepali, and am trying to learn some other useful phrases. The problem, of course, will be to understand what folks say in return!

I’m very much looking forward to meeting everyone in Hong Kong for our Nepalese adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment