Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Member Profile - Kellie Fitzgerald and Amy Medlock



Hello everyone!

My name is Kellie Fitzgerald(Left), and I am 22 years old. I have lived throughout all of Durham Region, Ontario, and am now residing in North Bay, Ontario, where I finished my B.A. in Sociology last August. Now I'm venturing forth into the world of "life after school". ;o)

I tend to be fairly shy and quiet at first, but I have a very open mind and strive to be a compassionate and warm-hearted individual. I have been a vegetarian for 7 years now, and I am very interested in topics such as sociology, animal welfare, environmentalism, and forensic psychology. I can curl up into a good book for hours on end. :o)

This Global Village build will be my first build as well as my first time overseas, and I am absolutely ecstatic to be able to participate. Not only am I looking forward to volunteering with such a wonderful and varied group of people, but I am also very grateful to be able to experience the build with my closest and most treasured friend, Amy. I whole-heartedly support the goals of Habitat for Humanity, and I am absolutely delighted to be able to help out in any way I may be able.
I look forward to seeing everyone in Kathmandu!

Best wishes,
Kellie



Namaste!

My name is Amy Medlock(Right). I'm 23, and from Oshawa, Ontario.

I work as a portrait photographer. It's both my career and something I really love, so I consider myself blessed. I have been described as a bubbly person, and if that was so before, then you should see just how happy I am to be going to Nepal! In my spare time I love sewing, swimming, travel, languages, kayaking, and singing loudly when nobody can hear me... haha!

Kellie and I have been best friends for practically forever. I'm really thrilled that we're going together on this trip, and with what I'm sure will be a great team! This will be my second Global Village trip. I went on my first GV build in 2008 in India. It was the best adventure of my life so far! Every one tells you that traveling will open your mind, but I found it opened my heart. And the imprint that the experience has left on me is deep.

I really believe in Habitat. I feel a great sense of hope when a group of strangers can come together to work with their own hands to create a place of safety in areas of hardship. We're going to have a blast in Nepal! We'll gain as much as we leave behind. Can't wait to see you all in Kathmandu!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kellie,
    It's Marci your long lost cousin. I just read the blog and I cried cuz im emotional like that. What you guys are doing is absolutley amazing! I wish you guys the best of luck and hope you gain so much. Can't wait to hear about how it went, when you get back! See you soon

    ReplyDelete